No doubt about it. If you’re going to try and transform your standard everyday truck into a wheelie machine, you’re going to have to put a loooooooot of time and money into that beast.
Still, some naysayers may say that this transformation just isn’t possible. But they are wrong; IT MOST CERTAINLY IS POSSIBLE. You just have to know how to make it happen.
Fortunately, we have some tips for any out-of-his-mind gearhead looking to make this happen. They are:
1. Get the BIGGEST FUCKING ENGINE you can find, if possible a drivetrain combo with a supercharged big block, backed by a tranny with a granny first and a 4.56 gear. This should work. Of course, if you can get an even more powerful engine- like the one below- go for it!!!
2. If it is a front engine vehicle (which obviously makes things a lot tougher), you will absolutely need to set your engine as far back in the bay as possible. But really, the best thing to do is to find a way to get that engine to the back of the vehicle, preferably over the rear axle.
3. Get rid of the bumper
4. Lighten the engine without losing power. You can do this by installing an aluminum engine block and head, install a lightweight starter, lightweight fiberglass or even a carbon fiber hood.
5. For anybody particularly INSANE, you could also cut the body a bit shorter and relocate the rear tires forward a couple of feet. Now, this will make your truck look a bit strange, but it will help adjust the center of gravity to make those wheelies possible.
6. Typically, under hard launches, a truck frame will twist and absorb the momentum, instead of lifting the tires. So, to fix this problem, you are going to need to re-enforce the frame, most likely by boxing it and by adding extra cross members along the middle.
7. Pick up some wheelie bars to make sure that son-of-a-bitch doesn’t flip on your ass.
8. Put large lead plates in the bed of the truck to further help with weight distribution.
9. If you’ve done all this, then behind the wheel you should be set (or as set as you could ever be). At this point just step down on the gas and accelerate that mother like you’ve never done before.