Remember Toyota was supposed to resume operations last Wednesday? That plan was extended to Saturday. Then said Saturday its operations near the Chinese port of Tianjin will remain shut at least through Wednesday due to the safety concerns as fires continue to break out at the site of last week’s deadly chemical explosions.
In an email, the company stated “We will only restart operations when we have been able to confirm the safety of our facilities and their surroundings , and when our employees feel that they can once again go to work in a safe environment”.
About 4,700 Toyota and Lexus vehicles were damaged in the blast. The company says it will not sell these cars – they have dents and broken windows.
As usual, I’ll update as I’ve got information.