With the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, Turkmenistan gained its independence and immediately gained a reputation as one of the strangest places on earth. Why? Well, they’ve had a revolving door of weird Kim Jong-Un-like
dictators “Presidents for Life.”
Why do I say that they’re so weird? Try taking a look at some of the whacky laws that they’ve put in place over the years…
- There’s been a ban opera for being not “Turken” enough.
- There’s also been a ban on the circus for the same reason!
- A recent ban on the importation of coupes, supercars and vehicles with personalized number plates or tinted windows.
- In 2014, the government decided that all air conditioning units must be removed from housing to improve the city’s appearance.
- The country’s first dictator, Saparmurat Niyazov, was declared president for life after an election that made it illegal for any opposition to run.
What a freak show!! Those, of course, are just a few of the strange laws that have been established. And guess what? Turkmenistan’s new
dictator “President for Life”, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow, just added another to the list.
According to a new BBC report, there has been a new ban put in place that disallows black cars from being on the roads!
While there has been no official paperwork drawn up, customs authorities have confirmed that they will allow no more black cars into the country. Also, all 160 government and media officials have been required to swap any and all black cars for a white alternative. As for citizens… well, it’s much of the same.
But why the sudden restriction?
It turns out that last September Berdimuhamedov swapped his black state limo for a white one and has since grown to despise the color black on automobiles. Maybe, he sees it as some sort of black cat-crossing-his-path type of deal.