As you’ve probably heard, Georgia man Justin Ross Harris was arrested a couple of weeks ago for leaving his son in a heated car to die. Over the past few years, this type of behavior has almost come to be expected from the bowels of America.
But has there really ever been a case that rivals the detachment and disregard for a child’s life as the current one?
As more and more details emerge from the recent Ross Harris case, the landscape of the crime continues to darken, and the exposed world that the killer(s) occupies grows bleak. Never has there been such disregard for punishment, all while showcasing such utter cowardice. Never has there been such a rotted example of the American father, of the American husband, of the American man.
If that seems a bit over the top, just take a look at some of the most shocking details that have emerged from the case:
- Harris was allegedly sexting 6 different women, including a 16 year old girl, nude photos of himself as his son was slowly dying in the car. Harris, of course, is married.
- Harris claims that he forgot that his son was in the car. According to the prosecution, though, Harris followed the same daily routine that morning, including stopping at a Chik-fil-A that was just .6 miles from his son’s day care. That means he would have had to forgotten in the 30-40 seconds that it takes to get to the day care center from the Chik-fil-A.
- Harris made 3 phone calls after finding his son dead. None were to the police or ambulances. Harris claimed that he couldn’t reach anybody on his phone, but records show that he had a 6 minute conversation with his employer.
- After driving with his dead son in the car, Harris came to a screeching halt in front of a shopping center. He then jumped out and began to scream, “Oh my God, what have I done? My son is dead!” When onlookers told him that he needed to give CPR, Harris just continued to scream and cause a scene.
- Harris and his wife, Leanna Harris, took out two different life insurance policies on their son, one for $2,000- one for $25,000.
- While in the interview room, Justin Ross Harris told his wife Leanna that their son looked “peaceful” and that he “dreaded how he would look.” She then asked, “Well, did you say too much?”
- Internet records show that the couple searched, “child deaths inside vehicles and what temperature it needs to be for that to occur” in the days leading up to the death. Five days before their son’s death, Ross Harris twice watched a homemade public service announcement that shows a veterinarian demonstrating the dangers of leaving someone or something inside of a hot car.
- Ross Harris also searched the internet for “how to survive in prison.”
So far, there have been no charges brought about on wife Leanna Harris, but many across the country are calling for her arrest, as well.
When asked if she was angry with her husband, Leanna raised more eyebrows by saying, “Am I angry with Ross? Absolutely not. It has never crossed my mind. Ross is and was and will be, if we have more children, a wonderful father. Ross is a wonderful daddy and leader for our household. Cooper meant the world to him.”
The judge overlooking the trial has already taken a stern approach while handling the high profile case, denying bond and overruling multiple defense objections.
Now, for the next few months, the American public will sit back and kick up their feet, watching and waiting to see what will happen with the latest “crime of the century.”